It is endometriosis month and I have been a bad blogger. There is nothing to write about. I am on the pill. I am waiting for IVF. Instead I thought I would write about endometriosis and how it has affected me in all aspects of life, not only fertility.
I have always had painful periods, I used to throw up every month, I would get through so many tampons and pads. In the end I went to the doctors at the age of 16 and asked to go on the pill. This was for two reasons; I had met my DH (i was 16, he was 19 when we started going out) and I had heard that the pill controls periods.
The pill helped for a while, but the pain was still bad each month. One month I was in so much pain I went to my doctor, I got rushed to A&E as had a suspected appendix about to blow. My appendix was fine, but I was booked in for a gynae appointment. I had a laparoscpy in 2004 and was diagnosed with stage IV endometriosis. I had the endo lasered and was told I would need a repeat in 2 years. I was a vet school at the time and decided to get through finals. DH and I got married and we talked about starting a family. By then my periods had got so unbearable, I was in so much pain, vomiting a lot of the time and could hardly cope. I came off the pill anyway, we started TTC, but after 6 months the pain was so bad I had my 2nd lap. I went through 6 months of injections to suppress my ovaries and endo and had a 3rd lap in Nov 2009. The lap was a big one, I took a while to recover, but eventually I came off the pill. We tried to get pregnant for 2 months, but the pain has been so terrible, I have had to go back on the pill. I have been approved for IVF on the NHS so we are waiting for a date, will most probably be in the summer.
Endometriosis has ruined my fallopian tubes. They are dilated and blocked. It doesn't look like I will be able to get pregnant. My fertility is screwed up due to endo, but so is a lot of my personal life and my sex life. I missed out a lot of nights out with friends due to being in so much pain, I lost friends as they did not understand the pain I was in, and I missed a lot of time off uni and work due to my pain. My sex life has also suffered. Sex is so painful a lot of the time. There are certain positions I cant do and a lot of the time I have to turn my DH down due to pain. I feel bad when I turn DH down. Thankfully he is so wonderful, so understanding and so supportive.
I just hope I can give him the baby he deserves and the baby I long for.
Endometriosis has ruined my life, ruined my fertility, causes me so much pain and upset. I do not wish it on my worst enemy. The fact it is an incurable disease and I am facing a hysterectomy at the age of 35 no doubt, it depresses the fuck out of me!
Saturday, 13 March 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



Screw you endo!!!
ReplyDeleteWhen will IVF get underway?!
Thank you for sharing that and helping us to understand more of how it has affected you. I'm sooo sorry about all you have been through. (((HUGS))))
ReplyDelete