Monday, 31 August 2009

The rudeness

I have had an awful weekend and bank holiday on duty. Only 20 hours left!! I have been extremely busy and stressed.

I got called out this evening to a lame horse. I left straight away and told the owner what I thought was wrong and what the treatment was. She completely disbelieved me and disregarded everything I said. Started being very rude, talking about me behind my back but was loud enough for me to hear. She told me she didn't believe that what I was saying was true, that I didn't get there quick enough even though I left straight away and drove very fast. I said I didn't appreciate her disbelieving me and she said she didn't care what I thought. She demanded to see my boss and demanded me off her land!! I left in tears. I cant quite put across to you guys just how rude she was. I normally have quite thick skin but I am tired and my injections are in full swing and I had had enough. How can people speak to others like that. More importantly how can people speak to their vet like that! I will never go and treat that lady's horses again unless she apologises to me. I am now so stressed and upset that I have eaten a big chocolate bar. My diet has gone out of the window!!!

10 comments:

  1. oooo...I am so sorry. I never quit being amazed at the utter rudness, disrespect, and ignorance of people. ESPECIALLY when it comes to the medical field- vetinary or human. I am sure she knew exactly what it was based on her TRAINING and EXPERIENCE and EDUCATION. I am sure she has DIPLOMAs on the wall to back her.

    I think you are right to not treat her animals- she has the right to choose whomever she wants to. You have the RIGHT to deny evaluation and defer to the next vet. Screw her. I hope her disbelief and ignorance didn't cause a lot of undue pain from not getting treated.

    We get this A LOT in our clinic (human..:) People don't understand why we can't "check them out" real quick for chest pain, seizures, blood clots, or head injuries. We are a stand alone clinic with capabilities to do strep screens, urinanalysis, and simple x-rays. That is it.

    THEN there are the people that come in with their diagnosis via WebMD or google. They get mad when the doctor says they have something simple and not something more like "guillian-barre" or rocky mountain spotted fever...or Multiple sclerosis. Like we could diagnosis that anyways.

    UGH. This whole swine flu thing is REALLLLLLLLLLLY pissing me off. Ugh.

    sorry to rant on your blog. SMOOCHES- I hope you get to feeling better in 20 hours. Go ahead have a big hunk of chocolate. You have to treat yourself sometimes!!! I am sure you have missed a meal or two in the last stretch of call!!!

    <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh, I can't stand people like that. You're only trying to help them, and they treat you like crap!

    I'm so sorry :(.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You'd think she would be more concerned with what is wrong with her horse and listening to you rather than bashing the person trying to help. Sheesh, some people. Sorry you had to deal with a crappy and rude owner. Feel better :) And I dont think one candy bar is going to ruin the whole thing, you'll get back on track, not to worry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry you are having such a bad time at work now. One chocolate bar won't ruin your diet; it's just a little well deserved treat.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nic, I'm so sorry. AND You are right... that lady was VERY RUDE to you. And unjustfully so.

    I'm sorry that you have had a hard time lately.. I hope you feel better soon:)

    Hugs,
    Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an awful thing for that woman to do. So mean. I hope your boss talks to her and tells her that everything you said is right and that she is in the wrong. Enjoy your chocolate, you can diet again tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh wow. I'm soooo sorry. I can't believe people can be so rude. I hope you feel better. (((HUGS)))

    ReplyDelete
  8. arg. this totally sucks. i'm sorry. i go through the same types of things with my patients. they come in and think that they know what is wrong with them, and then get mad at me when i have some different ideas.

    i just have to keep reminding myself that i went to school....they didn't. if they knew what they were going to do and what they thought was wrong, why bother involving you, right??

    :( you need some nice time to yourself!!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Karma!! She will get hers! dont let her get you down. you have to much to look forward to!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's hard not to let it get to you sometimes - there's only so much you can take. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message!!