Monday, 25 January 2010

Need help from you guys re: IVF

I had my CD5 bloods today, it went well; she found the vein straight away, was pretty easy for once!

I have my IVF appointment on the 1st Feb, one week away! I am so excited but nervous at the same time!

I dont normally do this but, I need some help from you guys regarding what questions to ask at this appointment. It is basically a chat about what will happen, at what clinic etc. I dont feel very prepared which is not me. I usually have a whole list of questions, but for some reason I have none! I think I am just feeling overwhelmed! Please help! Thanks!

5 comments:

  1. I unfortunately did not do IVF so I have no help for you...but just noticed that you are going to Dublin in April....you'll love it, we went in September and thought it was a great city.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It helps to have a schedule of medications ahead of time so you know what you're in for. I also wanted to know how long I'd be off my feet after egg retrieval and transfer. I really wanted to know how much time to take off of work. You could ask how the "grade" the embryos. It's a little overwhelming and most clinics have it laid out very well...see what they tell you first and then go from there. You can always call them after the meeting with questions. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You will probably just want to find out what kind of protocol your IVF doctor recommends and why, since there are many to choose from. The selection depends on what the doc is used to and how she expects you to respond based on your age and other medical conditions. The doc can give you an estimated schedule as far as when you'll be taking each medication, but will probably not go so far as to estimate when your retrieval and transfer will be because that will depend on your body's response. It would be good to know, though, what the goal is- how many mature follies does she hope you produce? Of those, how many mature eggs? Does the clinic do 3-day or 5-day transfers? What is their success rate, both in general and for patients with a condition similar to yours?

    I hope this helps. Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Nic.. I'm not going to be much help as I was very nervous-excited on my 1st RE appt.

    The RE should Break the whole Process of IVF (from begining to end) down for you. "Everything"

    One thing that I do suggest is that if you have "Any Questions" while your talking.. just ask it. I'm sure all RE's have heard any Qu. that you could ever think of no matter how crazy it might sound.lol

    Also if you don't understand something the Re say's.. just Ask how that worked again,, whatever it may be;)

    Thats what I did on my 1st RE visit and it went Great! He explained everything in detail and Answered all of my Qu. as best he could.

    I Do remember some of a few basic Questions that I wanted to ask prior to the appt.

    1. I wanted to know "How Soon" could we start IVF??

    2. I wanted to know how much it cost??

    His answer to #1 was- as soon as we want.. or as late as we want. Even if we wanted to schedule IVF a yr from then we could. We didn't wait of course.lol

    Answer to #2 was- He couldn't tell us for sure Exact amounts.. because he didn't deal with that part of it. But he did tell us "who" to talk to about it. And a week later we did:)

    Sorry this isn't much help. But I tried.lol

    Can't wait to hear how it Goes!!!

    Hugs,
    Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've got my appointment tomorrow so will let you know what my responses were - which might help give you an idea of what I forgot to ask!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message!!