Saturday, 29 May 2010

IF is private

I visitied a great blog earlier about privacy. Click here to read it. It was all about why people keep IF private. below is the comment I left.

I keep IF private due to a number of reasons, poss all you have listed above! Its none of your buisiness, fear, do not want to continuously talk about it, do not want to hear all the usual cliches e.g. ' if you just relax' etc.
I have opened up to a couple of friends and that has helped a litte. DH's parents and grandparents vaguely know we have IF issues, how ever that does not stop them keep usking us when we are going to have kids. If people that know can be so insensitive, then there is no point telling everyone else as the insensitivity will continue regardless.
I am not telling people that we are going through IVF other than 2 close friends. This is mainly because I do not want people keep asking questions, staring at my belly expectantly, I do not want to dissapoint everyone if I do not get pregnant. I can not cope with everyone else's pain when I will be dealing with mine and DH's.
People at work are already speculating though, one person actully mentioned to someone else that they think I am going through IVF. How the hell do they know? I have only just found out and got my dates. I dont even start until July!
Privacy makes it easier, I think.....

2 comments:

  1. My job asked me outright what I was doing last year when I started missing so much. I told them and now they all know, even the kids. Sometimes I wish I could take back some of my privacy. Some things are just for us. That is why I am glad I am cycling durig the summer. It is just the two of us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For us, it's not so much that our IF journey is private, but more that it's private from certain people. My family knows about it, but The Hubs' family are in the dark. This is mainly because, while my family aren't exactly supportive, they aren't exactly against it either. They have a sort of detached ambivalence about it. However, The Hubs family would have to chime in with their opinions (which would almost certainly be negative) and, frankly, neither The Hubs nor I want to deal with it. So, we keep it fairly quite, but not completely silent.

    I think it just depends on how each couple (or person for those going it alone) feel about it. Certain privacy levels work better for different people.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message!!