I am on duty this weekend and it has been rubbish so far. I am feeling exhausted emotionally and physically. Had a 2 year old black Labrador come in to me this morning. She had been hit by a car and was in a very bad way. I worked on her for over an hour trying to stabilise her and resuscitate her. Managed to bring her back 3 times but sadly I lost her. Was such a shame and devastating, but wasn't through lack of trying. I am still feeling down in the dumps though and wishing it was a different outcome. Sometimes I wonder why I do my job. It is exhausting, long hours and heart breaking more often than not.
I don't talk about my job much, but as most of you know I am a veterinary surgeon. I qualified 2 years ago and look after all animals small and large. I work a 1 in 3 rota meaning I work Monday-Friday 8.30am - 7pm and 1 in 3 nights, 1 in 3 Saturday mornings and 1 in 3 weekends. This goes up to 1 in 2 if someone is away on holiday. On a weekend I start at 8.30am on the Friday and do not clock off until 7pm on Monday evening! It is such a long weekend!
I am stressed about my lap, stressed about being on duty as I am always on guard for the phone to ring with an emergency and I am stressed with house buying. This weekend is not panning out well.
Poor Bobby, I am so sorry I could not save you, I tried my best, it was not to be.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



Aw Nic! So sad to hear you are so down in the dumps :( I don't know how vets manage to do what they do, but just know that you are SO very much appreciated for caring for our sweet animals. I'm sure Bobby's parents know she was in the very best of hands and that you exhausted every possibility to save her. Hang in there my friend, I'll pray over your lap... Go home and enjoy some cream cheese and wine again!! :)
ReplyDeleteawwww. I am sorry you in the pooper. Get it out girlfriend!! That does suck that you have to been on call all weekend. Blah. My husband is on call this weekend also- the sound of the beepers makes us both get indigestion.
ReplyDeleteSorry about Bobby- it really sucks that he died. I am sure you did all you could..that doesn't really help though does it?
OXOXO
You have sooooo much on your plate right now. Is there any way you could put a few items in a plastic container and save them for later? When is your lap? Sending you low stress vibes.
ReplyDelete:( i'm so sorry to hear this. the cases that end well make up for some of them that end this way. hang in there. xoxo
ReplyDeleteOh Nic, I'm sorry about your awful day. Try to keep your head up.
ReplyDeleteI be thinking about you and hope your lap goes smoothly this week.
sorry your day wasn't very good.. and about the dog... it does sound like your job can be very stressful..
ReplyDeleteHope you have a great week!!!
Hugs,
Hannah
I am so sorry Nic, what you do every day is miraculous to me-- and I am sure everyone knows you tried your best. It is heartbreaking always to lose an animal, even from old age. I am so so sorry, and he was lucky to have you working to save him and I am sure he felt your love.
ReplyDeleteOh I sure don't blame you for being scared about the procedure--in some ways I hope these next few days go by quickly so you can have your lap over and done with, and then you'll be on the other side, recovering, and ready to move to the next step.
hang in there sweet Nic, a few more days-- thinking of you.
warmly,
Kate
Nic,
ReplyDeleteI am soooo sorry that you had a bad weekend. Things will get better.
Hugs
Peta