Sunday, 26 April 2009

Mother in law

Note: some swearing in this post, sorry!
Been over the in-laws tonight. Although it is great to see them, DH and I always leave feeling a little bit pissed. Tonight is no exception for a few reasons which I cant/ wont go into except...... If I hear the phrase 'when I get another grandchild' and then a stare one more time I am going to scream! My MIL kept going on about BB my nephew and when she gets another grandchild she will do this and that etc. I am sitting there nodding, smiling, pretending that we are not ready for kids yet, got my career to think about etc. Fuck my career! If I had to give up being a vet forever to have a baby I would.

All I want to do is scream at my MIL: We have been trying for a baby and it hasn't happened yet, why the fuck do you think I am having a laparoscopy, so I have a chance of getting pregnant! I am feeling sensitive at the mo and should ignore what my MIL says, easier said than done!

8 comments:

  1. So sorry...it is very hard to hear those kind of comments. I assume she doesn't know exactly what you have been going through. Maybe it's time to tell? I had the same thing happening with my brother almost two years ago and just had to blurt out that we had been trying and the steps we were taking. Since then, he has been nothing but supportive.

    Hope you are feeling better today.

    ((HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Before I went in to have my lap. all I heard from my MIL was that I wouldn't be able to get pregnant. She continued to say this even after the doctor said he thought we would be okay and had a good chance of conceiving. Now her big thing is "don't want to wait too long, then you will be too old to get pregnant". Everyone offers their opinions and thoughts without thinking about how the person on the receiving end will feel. Sometimes you have to be like a duck and let it roll off of your back when you really just want to scream FUCK YOU at them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry to hear that you had such a frustrating visit. Nobody knows that my partner and I are trying to conceive either, so we have to deal with people saying insensitive things in front of us too. Even though we know that they aren't intending to be hurtful, it's still really difficult.

    ReplyDelete
  4. after many years of those same comments b and i finally told MIL that we were trying and that if they couldn't be supportive they shouldn't say anything at all. ...and they stopped asking about it. it was great. :)

    why do they have to be such meanies???

    your dinner sounded amazing, btw :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sorry yout not getting support or understanding from your Dh's family.

    I hope you feel better soon

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, i would scream too. I hate those types of comments.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Insensitive people are the worst...combine that with a MIL and you have a bad combination. You might need to see them less frequently for your own sanity and not feel guilty about it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's really amazing how people feel entitled to comment on our fertility. I'm so sorry.


    iclw

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message!!