Friday, 7 January 2011

Baseline scan - a nightmare

My baseline scan this morning did not go well. My cyst on my Left ovary which had apparently shrunk has now grown again. They do not know what they are going to do. I am not starting stims at mo, I am going back for another scan on tuesday. I cant see it suddenly going in a couple of days! This then leaves us with a dilema, to aspirate or not. If we dont then it will most prob grow when we start stims and absorb all the drugs. If we do aspirate, we run the risk of being cancelled. If we get cancelled then we have no NHS funding.
I am upset, I do not know what to do. They are talking about aspirating without any sedation or anything. Has anyone had this done? It sounds flipping painful to me. I suffered badly at the egg collection last time with diazepam and fentanyl!

My DH will not allow me to go through it without sedation and pain relief. It is my endometriosis that makes this so painful for me.

Has anyone had a cyst aspirated without any meds?

10 comments:

  1. I have not had a cyst aspirated but I am not sure why they make this such a big deal for you. I have two chocolate cysts on my right ovary (I have PCOS and Stage IV endo) however the RE says no matter what we do, they will just come back so no point in cancelling or aspirating. We just push forward with the IVF protocol and I still get a pretty good yield. Let me know if you want any more info. Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Nic honey! I am SO sorry to hear this!!! I am so upset for you right now....my cycle buddy! I have never had a cyst aspirated before, but I'd say if you decide to go that route....I'd definitely ask for sedation. There is no reason for you to have to suffer! I'll be checking to see what you decide to do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had several cyst aspirations, my ovaries are covered with Cysts so to be able to do a cycle they need to aspirate first.

    These aspiration were so painful for me that I could never do it without meds at all. I was "twilighted" so not completely out but enough drugs to make it comfortable.

    If the egg collection was painful then i would not allow them to do it without drugs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ugh, I'm sorry. Dumb cyst. I hope it goes down and you don't have to aspirate it. That does sound painful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh no! Hoping that you can still move forward with this cycle either way, weither they aspirate the cyst or not!

    I wish I was more help, but I don't know much about aspirating a cyst. Definitely don't do it with out some Extremely strong drugs!

    Sorry you are having to deal with all of this:,( I hate it for you!

    HUGE HUGS,
    Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so sorry. I haven't experienced this so I don't have any advice. But, if you think you should be sedated, that's what I would do.

    ReplyDelete
  7. not such good news...have no experience with this stuff, but i wish you luck with your decision. i'm so sorry for the setback.

    ReplyDelete
  8. :( I don't have experience without the drugs, but, wanted to say I am thinking about you!!! The last time I had mine drained was during an egg retrieval. Did they give you any idea what to except, pain wise?

    Hoping that your next post will be a much different, gleeful tone. HUGS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so sorry about your cyst. I don't have any advice, just sending you some positive (cyst zapping) vibes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't give you any advice since I haven't been there yet (but will probably be in the future when I do my first round of IVF). However, I would say that sedation sounds like the only way to go if you were in pain during the egg retrieval! Lots of hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message!!